“My personal experience is that most agencies are social media posers. They do not embrace social media for their own agencies yet recommend it for clients.” Agency search consultant, Hank Blank, Blank and Associates
The world of advertising isn’t changing, it’s changed. Marketers have pushed for the change and assessing whether their current agencies are ready to help them into the future.
New data suggest that marketers know social is the way forward. Social media is breaking down the walls between between “all types” of agencies, each trying to own it for their clients.
Eric Kintz, a Hewlett-Packard marketing exec and blogger said: “I think they [agencies] are somewhat helping. But they need to show how social media has helped them further their own agenda. So if an ad agency comes to me, I’d ask if they have their own page on a social network site? Are they posting videos on YouTube? Do they have their own blog? And how has it helped them in their own business?”
Marketers are still finding it difficult to locate the ad agencies that are credible and capable within the social media arena. According to Forrester’s research, marketers don’t trust traditional agencies to run their social media campaigns, but neither do they trust their entire marketing program to smaller interactive agencies.
“All of this creates somewhat of an agency purgatory — where different agencies try and take on each others’ roles but no one type of agency is ready to take over,” writes Forrester Analyst, Sean Corcoran.
Agencies need to first get their own house in order when it comes to social media. Prospective clients will be looking for agencies with verifiable social media experience that practice what they preach.
Read Sean’s article, “Agencies Enter Into A ‘Great Race’ For Relevance”
Additional articles that may be of interest:
- Ad Agencies in “The Great Race” for New Business
- Report Paints a Painful View of Ad Agencies
- Clear and Present Danger of Social Media for Ad Agencies
- Survey: 2010 Digital Marketing Outlook
- Ad Agencies: Don’t Turn Your Back on Digital
- Digital Agency Uses Social Media for New Business
- Is Your Ad Agency Prepared for the Magnitude of Digital Growth?
- Survey: Most Audiences to Get Information from Mobile Devices
- New Advertising Study: Digital Savvy Consumer Emerging Quicker Than Expected
- Survey: A Client’s Perspective on Ad Agencies
- Study: Change, Challenges and Call to Action to Ad Agencies