Keeping up with tecnology and how it impacts consumer behavior is important because it inevitably effects how ad agencies will reach prospects in the future.
This is why events such as SXSW are so important. South by Southwest (SXSW) is a set of film, interactive, and music festivals and conferences that take place every spring (usually in March) in Austin, Texas, United States.
Mashable kicked off its SXSW 2013 Variety Hour keynote with the following video, documenting how in only a generation the internet has transformed civilization as we know it. This is an excellent video on the State of the Internet: Past, Present and Future. How we got here and where are we going.
- From 1969, when U.S. Government scientist connected 19 computers and called it ARPAnet – the world’s first internet.
- 1973 the Xerox corporation developed the Ethernet that allowed a small group of nerd networks talk to each other.
- In 1995 the government privatized these networks and the modern internet was born.
- Within three years two million web domains were registered.
- The internet has evolved into the most powerful communication tools humanity has ever seen.
- In 1 internet minute, 204 million emails are sent (most have found their way to MY inbox); 1.3 million videos are viewed on YouTube; 2 million Google searches are conducted and 6 million Facebook pages are viewed.
- 95% of the music downloaded will be pirated.
- Proposing to make the internet more secure In 2011, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced a “stop online piracy act” or SOPA.
- There are more than twenty five million articles on Wikipedia.
- In 2012, 2.5 billion items were shared per day on Facebook alone.
- Tumbler has more than one hundred and seventy million users.
- Karen Klein went from disrespected school bus monitor to viral advocate after the internet collectively defended her.
- By 2015 there will be more than two times as many internet connected devices as there are people on the planet.
- The biggest traffic growths are expected in the Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
- With Google Fiber we will be connecting a lot faster with a connection speed 100 times faster than today’s broadband.
- We will be connecting with eyeball-control computers and watches.
- Someday you may be able to backup your thoughts so that you don’t forget them. A backup of your brain in the clouds.
How has the internet and technology impacted the way your agency gains new business? Please feel free to share your insights in the comment section below.