It is hard to stay focused and productive with so many workplace distractions such as laptops, smartphones, tablets and social media.
The new business director has to be like the rudder of a ship when it comes to new business and keep it consistently focused on new business.
I have been working in ad agency new business almost my entire advertising career. I’m organized and disciplined but I’m still constantly learning new techniques that lessen distractions and increase my productivity.
Here are 9 ways that I’ve found helpful to stay focused on new business:
- Create an game plan every day. You can use a To Do’s app for your laptop, Smartphone or iPad/Tablet to schedule daily reminders that need to be accomplished as a way to stay focused throughout the day.
- Dedicate blocks of time to your most important tasks. Make a specific effort to not allow the distractions or disruptions of others break your focus. After that block of time is up, take a brief break, then begin to focus on the next block of time.
- Set times for checking email. A study showed that people distracted by incoming email and phone calls saw a 10-point fall in their IQs, the equivalent of losing a nights sleep. I would suggest avoiding checking your email as soon as you get into the office. One of the first tasks should be to create your action plan and get a good productive start on your work day. At pre-set times, check and respond to your emails.
- Use noise canceling headphones. I don’t only use my headphones when I travel, I’ve found they help me quickly get into a ‘focused zone’ for completing task. I’m actually wearing them as I write this article.
- Take planned breaks. It is important to take a breather and it usually enhances productivity, especially if these breaks are pre-scheduled in between your major tasks for the day. This allows for a natural transition and a time to refocus from one task to another.
- At work focus on business and at home focus on your personal life. Its important to keep your personal and business life as separate as possible. You’ll stay more refreshed, focused and productive.
- Be comfortable. I enjoy my work environment. My desk, my chair and computer screen are at the right height. I have adjustable lighting for my workspace. The temps just right. My office is organized. Everything is conducive to keeping my mind focused.
- Discipline your time online. To avoid distractions my browser’s homepage is set to Google Reader. Having my online content in one location is extremely helpful to avowing distractions online.
- Respect the time of others. Instead of calling for a 1 hour meeting, try cutting the time in half. Don’t send lengthy emails, do the extra work to create emails that are concise and to the point. Remember that everyone is busy and keep the time of your calls to a minimum. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Respect to time of others and they will learn to respect yours.
Additional articles that may be of interest:
- 10 Tips For Creating a Game Plan For Ad Agency New Business
- When it comes to new business Ad Agencies are ADHD
- Ad Agencies: Three Things a New Business Director Needs for Success
- 10 Advantages When Ad Agencies Focus New Business Efforts on Their “Sweet Spot”
- 3 Quick Tips for Developing a Consistent Program for Ad Agency New Business