83.2% of marketers in a survey by Datran Media list email as their most important advertising tactic of the year.
Email marketing needs to be among the promotional tools for small and midsize advertising agencies new business programs. It has the potential to deliver the best ROI (time and money) of any of the tools in your new business program’s arsenal. Agency new business is going through a paradigm shift. Using online marketing tools, such as emails, has become essential securing new business opportunities.
It is typical for email marketing campaigns to top the 2% conversion rates typically expected from direct mail.
In fact, email delivers the highest return-on-investment among marketing mediums by an eye-popping margin: a whopping $57.25 for every dollar spent on it, according to the Direct Marketing Association’s “The Power of Direct Marketing”.
Not only that, but email is delivering sales at an average cost per order of less than $7! Compare this to average cost per order of $71.89 for banner ads, $26.75 for paid search and $17.47 for affiliate programs, according to Shop.org’s “State of Retailing Online 2007”.
Some helpful email marketing stats and metrics:
- Wednesday is the most popular day for opening emails, followed by Tuesday.
- Text drives more email click-throughs than images
- 11 a.m. has been the highest time for email recipients to open their email messages.
- 304: Average number of business emails weekly
- 83.2% of marketers in a February survey by Datran Media list email as their most important advertising tactic for 2007
- HTML has nearly universal adoption among consumers: A Jupiter Research consumer survey found just 3% receive only text email
- 67% of survey participants said they read at least three out of four promotional emails they receive from direct marketers
A great resource for small and midsize ad agencies isiContact’s 35 page report Email Marketing Best Practices
Check out these EmailLabs’ online email tools:
- Test your email marketing program with this rating calculator
- Test your “From” and “Subject” lines
- Email marketing planner and checklist
- Email preview pane rendering quiz
Email marketing Websites:
- B to B
- Drilling Down
- iMarketing News
- Marketing Sherpa
- The Newsletter on Newsletters
- Web Marketing Today – WilsonWeb
- Email Marketing Rep
A great way to demonstrate your competence for email marketing is to demonstrate its success for your agency’s own promotional efforts. Practicing what you preach and using the tools you recommend for your clients.